New Mexico Churches
Located in Upper Fruitland, New Mexico.
The original vision for San Juan Mission came from the Rt. Rev. Frederick B. Howden, Bishop of the Missionary District of New Mexico and Texas West of the Pecos River. He saw the need for work among the Navajo people and dedicated resources of the Missionary District to the end of establishing a mission among them. His leadership helped inspire medical work which led to the hospital being built.
St. Luke's began in 1922 when Lena Wilcox was assigned to take the gospel to the Dine. She set up a dispensary near the trading post and began to teach. The Carson Family, owners of the trading post donated 5 acres of land for the mission. By 1930 the local Navajo people built a chapel with sandstone. That year Bishop Frederick B. Howden dedicated the building.